Friday, May 25, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

Memorial Day means a whole lot more to me than it use to. I didn't grow up in a military family. My grandparents were military though. I have a brother that was military. I have and had friends that were / still are military. Maybe the fact that I'm grown I now realize what this all means. It's not that I didn't before. It's just a stronger appreciation. I'm truly grateful for our military. I appreciate those who serve, have served, or will serve. I appreciate their families. I admire the strength they all have.
I'm not posting this to get any pats on the back from anyone or a slap in the face because I didnt do what you expected me to do.I don't need to stand out from the crowd and act like my message is anything different or anything great. My Memorial Day weekend wasn't just about having a 3 day weekend though. Although spending the time with family and friends is what it's partially about.
I didn't go to any National Cemetery. I didn't pass out American flags. I didnt run in any patriot marathon. I didn't wear a tee shirt that says All American on it. I'm not sure I even wore Red, White, and Blue except for when I went to the Rangers game on Monday.
Do you know what I did do though? I stood up tall and stood proudly when the Star Spangled Banner was played at the stadium, as I do every time I hear it! My skin tingles every time I hear the last lines ..."..the land of the free, and the home of the brave!"
Living in the land of the free and the home of the brave, that's Memorial Day! Im thankful everyday for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment