Thursday, May 24, 2012

Marriage Proposals - Public or Private

This morning, I woke up to the radio ( of course ) ( stupid alarm clocks ). anyways, this mornings topic was American Idol season ( i have no idea, I don't usually watch this show ). It wasn't so much about who won but it was about some past contestants that came up on stage and the man purposed to his girlfriend on national TV as well as a live audience. In his proposal, he basically gives a plug to the jeweler or something like that. Anyways, I really didn't wake up until the DJ's were talking about how lame this was. The female DJ, said she would hate a public proposal and thinks they should be private and romantic.

My thoughts on this.... I do think it was more to promote himself rather than express his love during this proposal. However, I don't even know who they were talking about, nor did I see it. I only heard about as I layed in bed hating the alarm clock for going off so early in the morning. I don't think public proposals are a bad thing. I think it can be really sweet. It depends on the girl and the guy. I think its pretty sweet when a guy cant wait to propose and does it as soon as his girl gets off a plane in the airport. (This happen to my friend, Katie) I think its sweet when a guy prorposes to his girl in parking lot because the establishment was closed where he was gonna propose ( This happened to my friend, Matt) I think its sweet when a guy proposes to a girl taking a carriage ride to see Christmas light. (This happened to a friend, who now divorced that jerk; but it was sweet at the time) I have a friends whose man planned a romantic dinner out, had a trail of rose petals to lead them to an even more romantic scenery for him to drop to one knee and propose in fornt of anyone that cared to stop and watch.(food and proposal arent my thing, but it was a sweet story). Mike has a friend that proposed to his girl when she was working at a bar. (I don't think this is all that sweet, but she said yes )  Each and every propsal I hear about is slightly different. Some are outragous and beautiful and some are just lame to me. Iv never wanted to get asked the question at a resturant. My reasons are simple... what if I ened up getting food poison? I would forever associate this with my proposal....or what if service sucked, or my meal wasnt any good. I just wouldn't want something silly to take away from my moment. However, I would still say YES, no matter where it was, as long as it was the right guy.  I guess, it doesn't really matter where one gets proposed to, as long as the heart is in the right place.


*



My husband, proposed to me at park. Not just any park. It was the Arbor Hills, Nature Preserve in Plano, TX. This is our favorite park. We use to, at the time, go here every other day. We would take our doggies and walk the loop. Trees, and wild flowers, wild life, dirt bike trails,  and the paved walkway winds throughout the park. It is truly beautiful.
It was December 17, 2004. I was sick. Not sick sick, but I had a bad cold. I had medicine head too. I was sneezing and snotty. I wasn't a pretty site at all. It was also a cold day. Mike asked me if I wanted to got o the park. I said yes, of course. I'm usually a fighter when I get sick and think, getting out of the house and doing my normal routine will only get me better. Mike packed up the dogs, I got on my ugly orange winter ski coat on ( i was sick, I needed the extra warmth ), and tons of kleenex. I had leashes on the dogs and was ready to walk. All 4 of us walked the 2.6 mile loop. We almost got back to the car and Mike says to me..." Do you love me? "....... Now, this is something we ask each other all the time. Its kind of a game we play........ I of course said "YES!"....... He than immediately asked, "How much do you love me?".........I responded like I usually do with my arms spread out to each side of me, reaching as far as I could, responding, "This much!"...now at this time, I had a leash in each hand and when I spread my arms out the dogs got me all tangled up.......Mike without hesitation, with his arm wrapped around me, standing by my side, asked me, "Do you love me enough to marry me?". He had a ring in a black velvet box staring at me. I immediately responded. I said something like "what?, or shut up!" I was blushing, and said "YES!"  I couldn't stop starring at my ring. It was beautiful! I didn't cry at the moment but it makes me smile every time I think about this. It was a very private proposal. Just me and him and our dogs.
Mike isn't what I would call a romantic, but this was the most romantic proposal I could ever hope hope. Sneezing, snotting, tangled up with dogs, freezing weather,....nothing else mattered. I loved that he proposed to me when I thought I looked and felt my worse. It was my proposal and that's all that matters. I love this man, and anything he said and did would have been perfect. Its our story and that's all that matters in the end.

So Public or Private? Mine was private. It was perfect in every way!



* notice my husband is wearing a ring. This is for the sake of the picture only. He is not jewelry kinda guy. He never wears it. I wear mine, but I LOVE my ring.

Thanks for reading my blog,
<3  Julie

6 comments:

  1. I think the proposal should fit the couple -- some people are very private, and some people are not so much. Personally, I would prefer something private or semi-private (just close friends/family). I hate jumbotron proposals. With a passion. But I guess if that's cool for the couple, that works. I just wouldn't want it for me.

    Then again, I really don't think I ever have to worry about this. I don't see a proposal anywhere in my future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the time is right, you'll have your own story too. Im not a jumbotron kinda proposal girl either. I do have a friend that was proposed to at a game though. It was perfect for them. Not my kind thing though. I just know that I would end up spilling cheese or ketchup down the front of my white shirt before hand. I would look like total crap with sweat dripping down me and this would be for everyone to see....yea...please dont put me on a jumbotron to propose. haha

      Delete
  2. I love your story!! It's so sweet. And I thought Donny's proposal was perfect. I always thought a proposal should be personal to the couple, and our was. The American Idol one seemed kinda lame, but they were both on the show, so it was KINDA personal to them. (Although the jeweler plug was super lame.) I personally would not have wanted mine broadcast, and I loved that there weren't a ton of people around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I loved your proposal too! It was so sweet that he asked you right away. It makes me smile when I think about y'all! I didnt see the American Idol thing, so i can only base it on what the DJ said this morning, but it got me thinking about my own special moment and I was wanting to share it. :) it makes me smile too!

      Delete
  3. You know, I agree. Every couple is different. I would love to get married or engaged at the Ballpark but if I did, I don't really want the video version with 40k fans. Maybe a nice private ballpark tour or something. This stuff doesn't really seem as important to me as I have gotten older. I used to want a church wedding with everyone around. Now I would rather spend the money on a nice romantic honeymoon. You know where I want to go? Cooperstown New York. The Baseball Hall of Fame. Now how lame am I? Oh, but I want a cake, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea... i cant think of anything more perfect than the way it was for me. i know that i would have loved it anywhere or anyway it was done though. Cooperstown would be great!

    ReplyDelete