Thursday, June 21, 2012

Getting a job is a lot of work!

I won't go into all the work that making a resume is or searching endless hours for a job is. Anyone that has been unemployed unexpectedly knows what this is all about. I'm pretty sure that anyone searching for work also knows what it is like to have someone call you and ask you to come in only to find out that it is just a recruiter wasting your time.*
Iv been out of work now for over 2.5 years. Sure Iv enjoyed this time off. Iv sold a few things on eBay and Caigslist to make ends meet. Iv also had to use funds from savings accounts. This hasn't been a walk in the park for me but it hasn't been a complete headache either. Iv had the chance to organize my house. Iv traveled some. I was able to spend last moments with family members. (that's a whole other blog though) Iv also had the chance to realize that I really want to work. It's not that I'm bored. I have plenty of hobbies to keep me busy. However, I miss people. I miss the day in and day out conversation with familiar faces. I will soon have this void filled.
I was hired a few weeks ago. Iv have yet to start this job. I have to admit that this has been the biggest pain in the ass for me. Iv never worked for a large corporation before. Iv mostly worked for mom and pop shops. Within the past couple weeks I have been proving that I exists, and proving  that I have the right to work in America, and proving that Im not a junky (pee test, by appointment only!, must be done within, 24 hours of notification or no longer have job), proving that I dont smoke (same pee test), proving that I dont have any tropical diseases ( blood test, and TB test )( ohh, and this has to be done at a specific location that is about 20 miles away from me. Thankfully, Dallas has a train that goes to the general area. I didnt have to worry about paying for parking or cost of gas to get back and forth. I had to do this on 2 different days!) , proving that I went to high school (I changed schools 7 times!, good luck navigating through my HS records!) ( they dont care that I went to college ) ( Im not sure how they think that I got to college if I didnt previously get my high school diploma ), I had to prove that i paid my taxes in 2003. ( Yes! 2003! ), proving that I didnt work for the last 2.5 years.  I have been asked for this NOT all at once but item by item with 2 to 3 days in between each one. Im surprised that any of this is even valid because any record on paper can be made easily with any computer. Im a pretty organized person; so i actually have all this info they asked for.  Who would of thought that I would actually need all this crap. Its been an aggravating experience. I should ask for a raise after all this running around I have been doing for them. I hope it gets better once I actually start...........The funny thing is, they havent asked for my SS card or an ID yet!

As stressed out as this has been making me, Im grateful that I now have a job. I would will jump through even more hoops that get laid in front of me. This is a lot of work, but I want this! There is no challenge to big for me when I want something!


... on a happy note... I am suppose to start this job next week. I am hoping that I will soon have a blog post about my first day of school work!


*i dont believe that all recruiters are a waste of time. I believe that they to have job and finding the perfect candidate is their job. Im just never the one they want!

No comments:

Post a Comment